The overall objective of Internal Audit is to provide assurance to management of the entity regarding the management of key risks and to provide independent and objective advice and counsel to management to assist them in discharging their duties and responsibilities.
In line with the mission statement of the department, the general objectives of the Office of the Internal Auditor-General are:
- formulating and disseminating internal audit policies, action plan, guidelines, etc;
- ensuring capacity building for internal auditors and audit committees;
- providing guidance and supervising internal auditors in MDAs;
- initiating preventive and corrective measures to improve quality of public financial management;
- conducting audit assignments in any government entity to assess whether risks are appropriately identified and managed;
- providing consulting services to management on internal controls, risk management and corporate governance;
- monitoring implementation of the audit recommendations and preparing quarterly reports;
- preparing quarterly consolidated internal audit report for all government entities to the Cabinet Secretary responsible for Finance
To achieve these objectives, the department shall leverage on technology, develop talent, anticipate risks and develop appropriate strategies.
Our core values include:
The integrity of internal auditors establishes trust and thus provides the basis for reliance on their judgment.
Internal auditors exhibit the highest level of professional objectivity in gathering, evaluating, and communicating information about the activity or process being examined. Internal auditors make a balanced assessment of all the relevant circumstances and are not unduly influenced by their own interests or by others in forming judgments.
Internal auditors respect the value and ownership of information they receive and do not disclose information without appropriate authority unless there is a legal or professional obligation to do so.
Internal auditors apply the knowledge, skills, and experience needed in the performance of internal audit services.